Wednesday, April 17, 2013

April 17

Today has been one of the harder days that we've had. Mary had to be put back on the cycled CPAP which gives her a set amount of breaths because she was having more trouble breathing. They have both had a lot of oxygen desaturations and heart rate drops today. Everyone assures me this is completely normal, but it is still not easy to watch. I think the hardest thing is the feeling of helplessness that I have. There is very little that I can do to help them and that is a very hard thing to go through. I know that they just need to get bigger, but the day to day is hard, and the time until they can come home seems so far away.
My favorite nurse so far explained to me that when they increase their feedings of breastmilk they frequently need more breathing support because their tummies are more full and so it pushes up on their lungs and they need more help breathing. It just seems to be a balancing act with everything. They did do a chest xray on Mary, and gave her some lasix, which helps to get rid of excess fluid and may help her breathing. This is also normal for preemies I am told. Poor little lady :(
Vivian is having a better day than Mary and had a period where she was very alert. She had her eyes open and was kicking around. They seem more and more like newborns every day.
And here is a picture of Vivian with her eyes wide open and sucking her fingers;)

No comments:

Post a Comment