Thursday, June 13, 2013

June 13-My last post from the NICU!!

We're going home tomorrow!!!!  As long as the girls don't have any apneas or bradys overnight. I'm on pins and needles waiting for tomorrow...if they do have an event then they will be here for another 7 days :( Not sure I could handle that at this point.  Well I could if I had to, but it would not be very fun.
I am a little nervous about taking them home, but my comfort level has dramatically increased since this weekend. They are just so much more mature now, and act just like newborns. Its funny because I'm so used to them being quiet little preemies, but now they demand to be picked up or fed or changed or whatever it is they want. Which is a good thing!!
Yesterday they nursed a lot, and wanted me to hold them both in my lap while they slept. It was so adorable. Although things will be pretty crazy once we get home ;) If I was feeding one of them, the other would start fussing and crying til it was her turn, then the first one still wanted to be held, and back and forth all day lol. But nursing is the best thing for them right now so I don't mind at all. I really think all the hours spent here will pay off for me because when I get them home they will already know how to nurse and that will equal more time for me in the long run.
They are still doing great and gaining weight. After we are discharged from here our regular pediatrician will take over care for them. We will probably have an appointment with early next week to check their growth after being home a few days.
They will be sending us home with some formula to to increase calories to add to two bottles of breast milk per day. I have noticed that the girls have a lot more reflux and spit up and congestion (which is caused by reflux) in the morning after they have had the two bottles with formula. When I nurse them all day, they rarely spit up or have reflux. So I will not be adding the formula to the breast milk. I totalled it up, and the formula only gives them an extra 10 calories per day. In the long run that does not improve their weight gain, and to me is not worth the reflux symptoms. I researched the formula (Neosure), and it does cause increased reflux and gassiness in a lot of babies. If they have issues gaining weight (which I highly doubt they will) then I will address those with our pediatrician.
I still cannot believe that we have made it to this day. We will have been here 70 days exactly when we leave tomorrow. Such a long time, and it has seemed to pass both fast and slow. I took Norah out to the hospital garden last night and thought about how much has happened since 12 weeks ago when I was first admitted to the hospital. I have experienced things that I never thought I would have to go through, but isn't that the way life is? I would never give it up now, this experience truly has made me a better and a stronger person. I know that things will in no way be easy when we get home, but just all being together and in our own house will make it all worth it. Plus I have the two cutest little babies in the world! I'm not gonna lie, I had a super hard pregnancy and really wondered sometimes if it was worth it, but turns out it was. I wouldn't give them up for anything.
Again, we can't say enough good things about our experience here at the Blank NICU. The staff has been so wonderful and warm and supportive. If you have to be in the NICU, this is a good one to be in;) We will miss our primary nurses so much and can't thank them enough for their care. And also for keeping me sane;)
I am so proud of the girls. They are so strong and have overcome so many things and are now big and healthy and thriving. Mary weighs 5 pounds 4 ounces, and Vivian weighs 5 pounds 13 ounces. According to the staff the girls' progress has been amazing and is not typical for 28 weekers. They never got an infection, they don't have to go home on oxygen, they are primarily breastfeeding, and they are going home two weeks before their due date. None of these things are normal for 28 weekers, and especially 28 week twins. We have been so blessed, and are grateful to God. Thank you all so much for your prayers and support, we are so thankful for all of you.
I will continue to update this blog with the girls' progress, so please check back if you are interested in their progress at home!
Mary is on the left in the carseats, and Viv on the right.
Pretty ladies! Viv on the left, Mary on the right
Viv right Mary left
Viv left, Mary right
Mary left, Viv right
Big eyes (Mary)
What is happening??!? Vivian
Mary left, Vivian right
Mary left, Vivian right

No comments:

Post a Comment