Thursday, May 23, 2013

May 23

Oh my gosh we are really making progress here! Both girls are only on 1 liter per minute of oxygen, and Vivian is on 21% oxygen which is the same as room air! Mary is on 22%, so not far behind. I am so impressed with them! They continually amaze me with how strong they are.

They are still nursing super well. We ended up putting their feeding tubes in their noses instead and they seem to like that a lot better. They can get a much better seal. I think that they get at least an ounce per feed if not more, regardless of that stupid scale ;) One of our primary nurses Julie told me last night that she is fine with not weighing them before and after, because she knows they are getting a good amount. They look and act very full and their little tummies are so round! I hate to overfeed...and would almost rather underfeed them a little bit, because they will get their full feed the next time anyways. We are still nursing just  twice a day, and I think that is all they can really handle at this point. At their feed between the two times I nurse them they are usually passed out and don't even open their eyes when we change their diapers so it really does wear them out. Looking at their cute little faces while I'm nursing them makes the continual pumping I have been doing since they were born completely worth it.

We had a care conference yesterday with the discharge planner and social worker and a nurse practitioner who works in the developmental center at Blank. All 28 weekers qualify to be assessed periodically to see where they are in reaching developmental milestones. Their first check will be at 4 months and their last at 2 years. They also qualify for the AEA developmental program, which is through the department of education and will help with any therapies the girls might need. At this point we are not anticipating that they will need much therapy, if any at all, because they have been so healthy and haven't had any major issues or setbacks. They are not anticipating that they will need to go home on oxygen either, and I agree with that judging from their current oxygen settings!

The next steps are just getting them bigger and stronger and working on taking all feeds by mouth.

Mary FINALLY passed that 4 pound mark! She is 4 pounds 3 ounces, and Vivian is 4 pounds 9 ounces. I still can't believe they actually weigh that much. Although it makes sense if you look at their chubby cheeks and double chins ;)

In other news, Vivian pooped all over me the other night while we were giving her a bath. It was so funny. First off she pooped as soon as we put her in the bath, so we took her out to change the water, and then she pooped on my shirt and pants and foot while we were getting the water ready. So we put her back in, and she pooped again! I have never seen Kyle move that fast ever. He literally jumped away from the tub because he was holding her legs. I was dying laughing. I mean...I know its just baby poop, but the human milk fortifer and all the vitamins she is on make her so gassy and her poop is pretty gross hahaha. So I can't blame him too much!

We get Norah back tomorrow from my parents, so good bye to the carefree life we have had the past week;) Well, relatively carefree hahaha. It will be good to see her though, we did miss her a lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment